What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you browse most websites. They are used by web developers to improve your user experience by including additional functionality, ranging from saving your settings during and between visits to noting your site visit for analytical purposes.
There are two types of cookies:
- Session cookies expire as soon you close the browser and are most commonly used to help users navigate the site by storing information on their location and the pages they have visited. An example of this could be a site with a login process; in order for the site to remember that you are logged in a cookie must be stored, otherwise every time you move to a new page you will be logged out
- Persistent or permanent cookies remain on your computer once you have closed the browser down, relying on a time limit for self-deletion. Most of these range from 30 days to 1 year, but it's possible for them to last until 3012. These are most commonly used for personalising a web experience, so that the site "remembers" you from previous visits, or other sites, and can display relevant information
All cookies can be permanently disabled using your browser's security options, although most websites will fail to function correctly without cookies.
For more information on how to disable cookies please consult the About Cookies website.
Cookies used on the Andrews Water Heaters website
Below is a list of the different cookies we use on our website. These cookies are either set by ourselves (Andrews Water Heaters), or from other websites such as Google. Cookies that are set by Andrews Water Heaters are known as first party cookies, whereas cookies set from other websites are known as third party cookies. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee the listing of every cookie set from a third party website, as they can change at any time.
Andrews Water Heaters (ARPT, baxiuk_sessionID, ASP.NET_SessionId, X-Mapping-sample, _qca, _dc, _ga, ki_r, ki_t, ki_u, ki_s, mf_user, BIMCookie3)
These cookies have been set by Andrews to provide the following functions:
- ARPT is a load balancing cookie, which helps improve website performance, such as reducing the time it takes to load a new page
- baxiuk_sessionID helps improve your user experience by tailoring the website content you see, it also remembers which visitor option you selected when you change the content view
- ASP.NET_SessionId, supports your use of the website, particularly iterative elements such as filling in contact forms
- X-Mapping-sample is a cookie found on the product selector tool to keep the users' website experience intact
- _qca is a cookie used on the Andrews Water Heaters blog. It is set by the Wordpress Jetpack plugin to help Wordpress look at how many people visit our blog
- ki_r, ki_s, ki_t, ki_u, ki_s are cookies used on the Andrews Water Heaters website. We use Qualaroo Survey, formerly known as KISSinsights, to help us engage and gather customer feedback through surveys. These cookies help us with that and ensure that once a survey has been completed it does not reappear throughout that particular visit.
- _dc, _ga are set to help us identify ways we can improve our website by providing us with key information such as how many people visited our.
- mf_user is a cookie provided by a company called Mouseflow. The cookie helps us understand how you use our website so we can improve your user experience. You have the option to Opt-out and stop this cookie from recording your by visiting Mouseflow Opt-out
- BIMCookie3 is a useful cookie ensuring that once the 'Start survey' button or 'x' icon is clicked through a popup survey on <BIM Library> for example, the popup will not appear when you revisit that page.
Google (PREF, APISID, HSID, NID, OGPC, SID, SAPISID)
At present Google will set these cookies on pages displaying YouTube hosted videos.
- PREF tracks preferences that were set such as selecting a preferred language.
- SID, HSID are used for security and helps prevent fraudulent use of login credentials
- YSC is set by YouTube on pages with YouTube embedded videos
- PREF, NID, SID tracks your preferences so that related content or adverts can be shown
Google Analytics (_utma, _utmb, _utmc, _utmz, _ga, _gat)
Google Analytics is one of the most popular web analytics packages. Google Analytics uses these cookies to help us look at how many people visit our site, what pages they look at and how long they stay on each page. This information helps us identify ways we can improve your experience of our website.
Google DoubleClick subsidiary (_drt_, id)
DoubleClick is a Google subsidiary Google focussed on delivering Internet Advertising solutions.
At present DoubleClick are setting these cookies on Baxi Commercial.
- ID assigns an anonymous identifies
- _drt_ randomly generates a number
wufoo (PHPSESSID,SSID, SSLB, SSOD, SSPV, SSRT, __utma, __utmc, __utmz, SSSC, ep201, ep202)
Wufoo is our online form builder provider. It was acquired by SurveyMonkey Inc in 2011. The 'Contact us' form is one of a number of useful online forms we have on our website. These forms enable customers and visitors to communicate with us and therefore require the above cookies in order to work properly.
YouTube (VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE, PREF, NID, SID, OGPC, HSID, APISID)
YouTube was acquired by Google in 2006. At present YouTube will set these cookies on pages displaying YouTube hosted videos.
- VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE attempts to estimate the video speed for a particular YouTube hosted video. YouTube uses this data to identify ways it can help improve your viewing experience by determining the amount of time you need to wait before you can watch the video. It also helps determine the quality of the video you can watch. This cookie can also be used by an Internet Service Provider.
- use_hitbox increments the 'views' counter on the YouTube video
- PREF tracks your preferences so that related content or adverts can be shown shown within the YouTube video
- YSC is set by YouTube on pages with YouTube embedded videos
- APISID, HSID, SAPISID, SID, SSID, YSC used on pages containing YouTube videos and enable key functionality of YouTube videos
- LOGIN_INFO is used present login information
Cookies in email marketing